Saturday 9 April 2011

A Hatred rekindled!

As I think back to my very earliest memories there is one that comes to mind which really shows the power of an impression on a young mind.

Up until the age of 7 I lived in a suburb some 15 to 20 kms north of the Melbourne CBD. When occasion would arise, my Dad would take my brother Michael and I on the train to watch our Football team Collingwood, play against some of our traditional rivals. There is one that I was taught to hate. Carlton! They were the enemy and all that Carlton represented was diametrically opposed to Collingwood.
Carlton were evil, they cheated and were dirtly rotten scoundrels. In fact when my brother and I wanted to insult each other we would suggest the other was a Carlton supporter. No other insult could cut like that one to the heart of a young magpie like myself.

Now as an adult with a little more perspective on life I still have buried in my subconscious that all things Carlton are bad. I meet nice people who I find out to be Carlton supporters and for a moment there is a conflict within me that something doesn't add up. "How could such a nice person support Carlton? Don't they know that they are bad?" It is a real conversation that fleetingly takes place in my mind.

As I think about this my mind starts to ponder how powerful and easy it is to create a culture starting with children and the danger that we as a society can find ourselves in if we don't teach children correct principles.

Let's look at a global example, racism! We see so much hatred and dislike between particular races often based on ignorance and generally created through being taught and not through experiencing large scale common nationalistic behaviours.

The danger arises when little ones are taught an opinion as fact about another race and create a view or reality map in their young forming minds before they get a chance to experience and judge for themselves.

 Now, many of these views may be close or even accurate but to label a whole race is to over stereo type and judge based often on ignorance.

Let's look at an example, Asian drivers are all bad! The first question I would ask is have you ever driven in Asia? I have been on roads in both Asia and the sub continent and let me tell you, I would be way too scared to drive on any of those roads. In fact some of the most skillful drivers I have seen have been in Asia and India. 3 lanes on a road becomes 5 wide full of cars and bikes and you would see far less accidents then you do in Australia. Whole families riding on the one motor bike sure beats the traditional family people mover.

Yet, you bring one of these people to Melbourne and they often struggle to adapt to our driving as they aren't use to the style in which we drive. Are they bad drivers? No, just use to driving under different conditions.

Societies are like that, is one better then the other? Morals and values aside, I would say they are just different and have different challenges. Seeking to understand one another before delivering a judgement, now that is a culture that would be great for our children to learn.

Now as I sat at the MCG last night with Collingwood putting Carlton to the sword I made a comment that my son didn't like, and he turned to me and says "you're a Carlton supporter" with a look of disgust. Even now as an Adult that hurts!

I think it is fair to say that of all the things in life that we can brainwash our children with, hating Carlton is one that we can allow to happen!.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bro like the blog! Now I know it's here I'll check in from time to time. I never got the Carlton conditioning. I actually like them! I can't stand Essendon though. And given some of my closest friends are bombers fans I often find myself equally conflicted. As long as they don't sing that stupid song I can deal.......

    ReplyDelete